Silicon Thin Film Transistors on Transparent and Flexible Substrate
Today many works are devoted to produce flexible electronics. Major perspectives are flat and flexible screens, intelligent textiles and clothes, RFID labels able to replace the barcode identification system, and some biological applications such as bio-patches dedicated to be stuck on organs. The main goal of this training is to learn how to process on such flexible substrates. In that way, the practice consists in fabricating on flexible substrate and characterizing thin film transistor (TFT) that is the elementary element of any electronics.
This course fulfills all the criteria imposed by the FP7 EURO-DOTS program, and has been provisionally granted the EURO-DOTS label. PhD students fulfilling the requirements can apply for a scholarship. Details on the FP7 EURO-DOTS program, these requirements and the application procedure can be found on Students >> Rules.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?The course is primarily aimed to PhD students and researchers from European Universities and Research Institutes who want to learn or increase their skills on the microelectronic technology on flexible substrate. Professionals from European Companies that have the same need are also welcome. Due to the limiting possibilities in the clean room, the maximal audience is limited to a minimum of 4 attendees and a maximum of 8 attendees.
COURSE LOCATIONThe course will take place at Université de Rennes
Avenue Jean Perrin
Campus de Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex
FEES AND REGULATIONSAttendance is kept low in order to lower the barrier for members of universities and research institutes. However, a fee will be required to cover a small part of the known high cost of the technology.
- Attendance fee : 1 000 € for PhD students.
- Fees exclude VAT which will be invoiced subject to national regulations.
- Fees include the lecture and the attendance to the training in the clean room, all the materials needed for the lecture and the training, the five days lunches and refreshment breaks, and the social event dinner
- Fees include also a help for lodging arrangements in the University at moderate cost.
- Transport, accommodation and other meals are not included in the fees.
PROGRAMThe training starts with 3 hours lecture on the technological steps regarding the low temperature need and on the expected influence of the flexibility of the substrate on the TFT’s properties. Then the practical training is divided into partsTFTs are processed in clean room, directly on transparent plastic substrate at a maximum temperature of 180°C, compatible with the m echanical properties of the substrate. The training is divided in several technological and analysis parts listed below:
- PECVD Deposition: undoped microcrystalline silicon, N or P doped microcrystalline silicon, silicon nitride
- E-beam deposition of metals
- 4 photolithography steps (4 mask levels)
- Electrical and Physical characterizations during the process:
- 4-probes resistivity
- I-V and C-V characteristics
- Electrical characterizations after the process:
- TFT’s parameters analysis (Agilent B1500)
- Study of the effect of the flexibility of the substrate
The proposal EURO-DOTS-2 has been accepted and will ensure continuation of the EURO-DOTS mission and platform at least already until the end of 2014! EURO-DOTS-2 starts on 1 January 2013 for a duration of 2 years. The operation of the platform remains unchanged.
In 2012 not less than 46 courses with the EURO-DOTS label were scheduled and organized. For 2013 already 33 new modules are scheduled and announced. The full course catalog and calendar are available in the Course section.
Testimonials by PhD students
More than 140 PhD students have obtained a scholarship in the past 2 years to attend one of the EURO-DOTS courses organized all over Europe. 62 Testimonials of PhD students describing their very positive experience with the EURO-DOTS courses can be found on the Testimonials page. Let this stimulate others to also benefit from this unique offer!
PermanentCall for Course Proposals
A permanent call for submission of course proposals is open with focus on topics/themes of high priority as identified in the gap analysis!
The ‘public’ deliverables of EURO-DOTS are available in the section Downloads & Documents.
EURO-DOTS flyer and poster
The new EURO-DOTS flyer en poster can be downloaded from the PR and Dissemination section.